Rannoch substation has been successfully energised following a major refurbishment programme by Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN).
The substation, located near Loch Rannoch, was initially built in 1930 to deliver locally-generated hydroelectricity to residents in the north of Scotland. Almost 90 years on, SSEN has extended the substation to facilitate new hydro generation connections and improve the security of supply for the area.
The upgrade has been underway since January 2016 and involved cutting the hillside to obtain over 3000 tonnes of material to create an extended platform to host new equipment, including two new transformers.
As a responsible developer, throughout the planning and construction of the substation SSEN worked closely with the local community to help shape its approach to the project and ensure local residents were kept informed about the proposals at every stage. SSEN Project Manager, Duncan McCall, explains more:
“By taking the time to discuss our proposals with the local community during the early stages of development, we were able to take all feedback on board ahead of our planning application.
“We received no objections to this reinforcement and we believe that this was in part due to our commitment to utilise local materials on site, removing the need for approximately 317 vehicles travelling on the single track road to the site.
“This solution was not only better for the environment but also safer for all road users in the area. We were also able to utilise the excess top soil as bunding to reduce the visibility of the site.